A Mobile is a type of kinetic sculpture
constructed to take advantage of the principle of equilibrium. It consists of a number of rods, from which weighted objects or further rods hang. The objects hanging from the rods balance each other, so that the rods remain more or less horizontal. Each rod hangs from only one string, which gives it freedom to rotate about the string.
Alexander Calder’s Poisson dart sold for $25,925,000 (May 13th 2014)
Your assignment is to turn ‘Space into Meaning‘…
What could the artist be talking about with this Mobile?
Or this one?
You can use whatever you want.
Don’t be afraid to play
There are so many ideas that come to mind!
- What is the theme of your Mobile?
- What are the materials? And why or why not?
- Base? And why or why not?
- Abstract forms or recognizable forms? And why or why not?
- Colour or monochromatic? And why or why not?
A couple of paragraphs in your sketchbook
Two pages of sketches