a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.“I counted the money before putting it in my wallet”
FORMALsums of money.plural noun: moneys; plural noun: monies“a statement of all moneys paid into and out of the account”
the assets, property, and resources owned by someone or something; wealth.“the college is very short of money”
Ya… But what is Money???
As you have read the Chines first started to make coins around 770BCE, while they moved into paper currency around 700BC. The first official currency was made produced by Lydia’s King Alyattes (now part of Turkey) minted what is believed to be the first official currency. From there cheques, credit cards, debit cards, and now Cryptocurrencies… What will be next?
Basically… Design a new Banknote.
Yet, there are a few considerations and criteria to think through, sketches to be made and concepts to be honed and expressed. Oh, I also want you to research contemporary anti-counterfeiting and ‘build’ them into your design. Yes, you will be dealing with Polymere banknotes such as the new Canadian 10-dollar bill with Viola Desmond on it.
Our Design Problem: (What you’re going to solve visually, make, and submit)
- Since we live in Canada, let’s design a new One or Two dollar bill!. I hope to print your bills out in full color on plastic sheets. Monochromatic, duotone, full colour, realism, abstract, political, or not all the design choices are up to you. BUT, you have to choose them and know WHY you are choosing them.
- Research, look at lots of Banknotes both contemporary and historic
- Think about what makes a good design for a banknote.
- Think about the Principles of A&D: Ballance, Rhythm, colours, patterns, etc
- Think about what your Banknote will talk about, show, or describe- and How you will show it- realism, abstraction, symbolism.
- Think about the world you live in- who has money, and who has not… does it matter?
- Think about your idea
- Think about layers
- Sketch some more
- Think about anti-counterfeiting features
- Sketch some more
- Build your Draft (think about the different layers and how they will interwind)
- Submit draft on Teams.
- once okay’d move on
- In Adobe CS build all the layers/features. Print out and assemble.
- Shall we frame them?
How to frame a banknote
- Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2: Banknote Project
- BUILD A BANK NOTE
- The man who drew his own money