10 YEARS OF PICTOPLASMA – A DECADE OF CHARACTER EXCELLENCE!
During the past decade, the Berlin based project has tirelessly hosted, encouraged, and pushed forward a unique, playful, and interdisciplinary investigation of the visual avant-garde and graphic arts in the digital age.
Pictoplasma is an organization dedicated to the art of character design, and are notable for bringing it into the mainstream. Since 1999, they have encouraged the international character design scene by publishing collections of characters, organizing character design conferences, and by maintaining the Pictoplasma Archives, an extensive inventory, collection, and showcase of contemporary character design.
In this painting project, we will be developing from sketch to good copy a character with a history, personality, and a whole world around it!
SO, Start thinking!!!
- Sketching a page of SMALL possible Characters. (min of 8 diff characters!)
- Pick one Character and develop it in to a robust, or full, character
- define name
- make up the – who what where and when…
- what are they wearing, holding …anything else
- Produce a 6×8′ draft in color! in sketchbook
- Good copy = 2-3 group has to be at some kind of celebration, or festival, (one page of writing about C,or F, and what your characters are doing there.
- For 3D students please go through steps 1-3 (time two!- one for each character) and then produce two 8″ 3D characters
*Pictoplasma ROCKS!!! please take a look at what they do with the global arts community.