Complete the protist package/handout (colouring, labelling and answering questions is required for full marks). For blocks 1-2 and 1-3, protist postcard is due on Monday, 20 January (extended from 16 January). Protist package is due Wednesday, 22 January.
For Block 2-1, protist postcard and protist package are due 27 January 2020.
Complete the energy transformation handouts (2) using workbook pages 106-107.
Read and complete the Static Charge handout and questions.
Begin reading chapter 18 in test (Protists).
Protist postcard project – Research a protistan species to feature on a postcard. Include the information listed below (based on the chart handed out in class, but also found through online research):
Protist postcard information
Due Thursday – we will have time in class on Tuesday to work on it.
Complete pages 112 – 115 in workbook. Finish the energy transformations handout (circle and explain the energy transformation).
Complete pages 108 – 111 in workbook.
Recent video on Archaea and Bacteria is here.
Assigned video on the science of vaccine resistance is here. It goes along with the handout here.
Article summaries should:
- explain thesis/big idea of the article
- include main/important points
- be kept short
- be informative
- be thorough (don’t leave out any important stuff)
- assume the reader hasn’t read the article you are summarizing
Review/re-read the textbook and workbook sections on immune system (chapter 17 and unit E, respectively).
Virus questions assigned by Ms. Squakin on 19 November:
- Refer to diagram E-1 on p. 28 of the workbook. Define the structure in the diagram.
- Draw and label the structure in the diagram.
- What is the function of the nucleic acid in the structure shown?
- What alternative uses does the nucleic acid provide to other organisms (not the virus)?
Finish Beads activity and hand in.
Finish haploid/diploid handout and hand in.
Finish meiosis diversity sheet and hand in.
Complete pages 23 to 30 in workbook, using the handout to help you.
Test on Unit 1 (biology, cell, reproduction) will be 13 December.
Block 1-3 – read the Dengue Fever article and answer the following questions:
- What is Dengue Fever? 2. How is it transmitted? 3. What does “endemic” mean? 4. What other illnesses are endemic to the Yemen (mentioned in the article)? 5. For the illnesses mentioned in #4, are they viral, bacterial, or protist-caused? 6. For the illnesses mentioned in #4, what is the vector for each?
All classes: Read the remainder of chapter 17 (bacteria) and the unit in the workbook (bacteria). Do questions on p. 31 of the workbook (not for handing in).
Be sure the meiosis diagram has been coloured/fine-lined and handed in!
Complete BLM 1.3-5 handout and hand in.
Work on the workbook p. 23 – 29 using the handout of p. 52 – 55.