Biology 12 Research Assignment – Genetic and Chromosomal Mutations
Your research assignment shall include a hard copy of a 500 word essay (minimum) and including information on at least 2 mutations affecting our species (stay away from frogs and crocodiles). Use your textbook’s chapter 25 and/or p 13 of your DNA booklet to help with ideas on what to research, the “Map of Chromosome X”.
Citations (2 plus Wikipedia, reputable, think EBSCO or GALE virtual library)
A synopsis of both mutations, including the 5 W’s of good reporting:
- Who (where in the world is this most prevalent; is a gender more prone to getting this)
- Where (which chromosome is most affected; what part of the body is affected, etc)
- What (describe how this mutation is expressed, is it lethal? Do they have 6 toes?)
- When (provide some history of the research of this mutation, when and who founded it? And how did they discover it?)
- Why (how did this mutation happen? Do they think it’s x-rays or deli meat? Give the cause if known or suspected cause if ongoing)
- Anything else you think of that would lend itself to good reporting.
Include a picture or diagram of each mutation; what do they look like? How does it occur?
Due Monday November 30th.
No extensions in Term 2. On time or lose 10% immediately and 10% per day thereafter as per the Biology 12 outline.