2684 East 2nd Avenue
1959 – present
Named for Chief Maquinna, Nootka leader in the 1780’s.
Replaced Nelson Annex (B).
Date: 1960 Top: A close-up of the official plaque commemorating the opening of the school in 1960. Bottom: View of the school from the road.
Date: 1960 Unveiling of the school plaque at the opening ceremony of the school. (One of Trustee John Henderson’s many official visits to schools.)
Date: 1950 Students work independently at their desks in traditional classroom setting while teacher provides assistance to individual students.
Date: 1961 Elementary students engage in a Physical Education class conducted on the school playground.
Date: 1962 School nurse weighs a student.
Date: 1963 Teacher, Mr. Gill, and students pose with animal bones during a science lesson.
Date: 1968 Mrs. Elaine Clemons, teacher, instructs senior elementary students on how to assist New Canadian students.
Date: 1968 Primary students learn how to pronounce English while being observed by senior elementary students.
Date: 1972 Students using visual aids explain how to cross roads safely using safety corners.
Date: 1962 Kindergarten student standing at an easel paints a picture using poster paints.
Date: 1962 Students playing with wooden building blocks.
Date: 1962 Students learn to use word sounds using a chart.
Date: 1972 Kindergarten student building with blocks (Chief Maquinna Annex)
Date: 1969 Kindergarten students show off their paper cut-out animals.
Date: 1960 Teacher Louanne Whillis and student examine a mystery object.