On November 03, 2010, the Vancouver School Board and the VSB Archives and Heritage Committee signed an agreement setting out the expectations and commitments of both parties. In February 2014, the two parties renewed their commitments in an updated Memorandum of Understanding.
See below the Preamble to the 2014 Agreement:
This Memorandum of Understanding between the Vancouver Board of Education and the VBE Archives and Heritage Committee replaces an earlier agreement between these two parties signed on November 03, 2010. The new agreement will be in effect for five years, starting on February 12, 2014 and ending on February 16, 2019.
As in the earlier agreement, the new Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the Vancouver Board of Education as the sole owner of all archival materials under its care and ultimately responsible for their preservation.
The new agreement also recognizes the Vancouver Board of Education as the final authority over any initiatives the VBE Archives and Heritage Committee might undertake to increase awareness of the history and heritage of Vancouver public schools and the district at large.
During the period this Memorandum is in effect, the VBE Archives and Heritage Committee will assist the Vancouver Board of Education in the following areas:
- Collection and preservation of historical documents, photos, and artifacts at the district and school levels.
- Recognition of the traditions and accomplishments of Vancouver public schools and the district at large.
- Celebration of important milestones at the school and district levels.
- Coordination and publicizing of efforts within the district related to archival and heritage matters.
- Development of policies, programs, and strategies related to the above.
The parties to this agreement recognize the need to give special attention to the archival and heritage needs of Vancouver public schools facing renovation, rebuilding, or closure.
1. Goals of the Archives and Heritage Project
- To assist and support the Vancouver School Board in carrying out its responsibility to collect, catalogue, preserve, and provide public access to images, historical documents, and artifacts related to the Vancouver School District.
- To display images, historical documents, and artifacts related to Vancouver public schools at appropriate venues throughout the city.
- To showcase the history and achievements of Vancouver public schools.
- To support VSB schools in developing their archives and celebrating their heritage.
- To assist those doing historical and educational research on VSB schools and the Vancouver School District.
- To raise funds through individual contributions and grants from private and public funding agencies to supplement the financing of the Archives and Heritage Project.
- The Archives and Heritage Project will be operated by the Vancouver School Board through a committee called the VSB Archives and Heritage Committee. This Committee will consist of members from the Vancouver Retired Teachers Association (VRTA) and the Vancouver Secondary School Administrators Alumni (VASSA A), and representatives from the VSB District Management Team.
- Serving teachers and administrators, parents, and student alumni will be considered for future membership as the VSB Archives and Heritage Project evolves.