King George Secondary

(L) Percy Saltzman; (C) Elsie MacGill; (R) Mary Livingstone


Percy Salzman (1915 – 2007)

Percy Saltzman was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, to parents who had immigrated to Canada from the Ukraine in 1911. In 1925, they moved to Vancouver. While attending King George Secondary, Salzman proved to be an outstanding student. He came first in the province in his final high school exams.

In 1943, Salzman became a meteorology officer and was attached to the British Commonwealth Air Training Program until the end of World War Two.Starting in 1952, he became the first English-speaking weather forecaster on Canadian television. He went on to host numerous public affairs programs on CBC. Later, he worked on CTV, CITY –TV, and Global TV.

Elsie MacGill (1905 – 1980)

Elsie MacGill was born in Vancouver. She was home-schooled during her elementary school years, before going on to King George High School. She received drawing lessons from Emily Carr and swimming lessons from Joe Fortes.

In 1927, MacGill became the first woman in Canada to earn a degree in electrical engineering. She went on to achieve a Master’s degree in aeronautical engineering from the University of Michigan, and a doctoral degree at MIT in Cambridge – the first woman to do so in North America. During World War Two, she oversaw the production of military aircraft, including the Hawker Hurricane fighter aircraft. In 1967, she was appointed to the Royal Commission on the Status of Women. She co-authored the report published in 1970. In 1971, she was awarded the Order of Canada.

Mary Livingstone (1905 – 1983)

Mary Livingston, born Sadya Marcowitz in Seattle, Washington, was raised in Vancouver. She went by the name, Sadie. In 1922, Sadie met the famous American comedian, Jack Benny, at her parents’ home. Jack was in Vancouver performing at the Orpheum Theatre. Five years later, Sadie and Jack married in Waukegan, Illinois.

During their early years together, Marcowitz began appearing in Jack’s vaudeville performances, and later, his show on radio. It was at this time that she adopted the stage name, Mary Livingstone. Despite her success, she struggled with stage fright, and retired from performing in 1958.


(Note: the information shown here was gathered via Google searches.)