Lord Strathcona

Address: 392 East Pender

1873-present

Named for Donald Alexander Smith, first Baron of Strathcona (1820-1914), Sottish-Canadian financier and politician.

Students originally went to Hastings Mill School. After the fire of 13 June 1886, the families scattered. A new school called East or Oppenheimer Street opened on 26 January 1887 at 522 Oppenheimer Street (now East Cordova Street.) It moved in March 1891 to Pender and Jackson and was called the East End School. The school was renamed Strathcona in 1900.

 

dsc_4521

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

 

605b2909-96fb-483b-b5b7-d3665dd80ae3-a26630

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

 

strathcona-1902

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

 

Date: 1890?     Class Photo      Photo Credit: Vancouver City Archives

 

Date: 1908     Photo Credit: Vancouver City Archives

dsc_4511

 

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

bba0e83e-df8e-46f3-9308-8ca0c39e32b6-a09605

Date: 1923. Group portrait of students and teachers. Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

 

dsc_4551ab3e6393f-1928

Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives

 

scan20030scan20026scan20017dsc_4537dsc_4530bw_edited-1

dsc_4954dsc_4955dsc_4522_edited-1dsc_4515scan20005scan20010scan20007dsc_4545scan20029scan20014scan20013dsc_5344

 

 

dsc_5346dsc_5343dsc_5357dsc_5332dsc_4587dsc_4592dsc_4597dsc_4590untitled_panorama1