Ministry Course Code: MMA–09
This course is a continuation, in a more formal manner, of the work begun in grade 8, and will be taken by all grade 9 students except those who have qualified for Mathematics 9 Enriched.
- Developing concepts concretely, pictorially and symbolically.
- Developing mathematical communication skills.
- Developing basic numeracy skills by encouraging students to perform calculations without a calculator.
Course Topics Include:
- Numerical and spatial reasoning
- Patterns to solve puzzles and games
- Financial literacy – types of income and simple budgets and transactions
- Powers, rational numbers and order of operations
- Square roots – estimation skills
- Two-variable linear relations, using graphing, interpolation, and extrapolation
- Solving multi-step one-variable linear equations
- Simple operations with polynomials of degree two or less
- Spatial proportional reasoning such as scale diagrams and similar triangles
- Probability and statistics in society such as sampling techniques and misleading stat
Workbook: Theory and Problems for Mathematics 9