Checkout VSB and VSB Audiobooks
Besides enjoying a book from cover to cover, families can also share a good audiobook. These books are read by wonderful readers that have rich and engaging voices. Prior to TVs and screen devices, families gathered around the radio to listen to stories. Listening to books is gaining popularity again and there is good reason for it! Below is some factual information about listening to audiobooks. Besides all these benefits, these books are very entertaining and spark great conversations if listened together.
click on Elsie Roy
log in (each student has a login number and password)
go to Catalog – click on Destiny Discover and scroll down to audiobooks (they also have e-books too)
*Students who are wanting to read on their own mobile devices: please note that the minimum requirements for the OS of a mobile device for both Destiny and Destiny Discover are iOS 10 / Android 5.0 and Chrome version 74.
Vancouver Public Libraries audiobooks
you must have VPL card
VPL has an app called Libby that is free to download
From Western Downs Libraries (Australia): The benefits of listening to audiobooks are extensive…
Audiobooks are immersive, educational, instructional, and entertaining. Audiobooks can also change the way we listen, read and learn, improving the literacy of readers.
There are plenty of benefits to regularly listening to audiobooks, including:
- Increasing reading accuracy by 52%
- Increasing reading speed, expanding vocabulary and improving fluency
- Teaching pronunciation
- Improving comprehension by 76%; and
- Increasing test scores by 21% when engaged in multi-modal learning.
Not to mention:
- 27% of the Kindergarten to Year 12 population are auditory learners
- Students can listen and comprehend two grade levels above their reading level when regularly listening to audiobooks; and
- Combining print and audio increases recall by 40% over print alone.
- Listening is the first language skill that we acquire and 85% of what we learn, we learn by listening.
- For those learners who have difficulty reading, listening to Audiobooks can make learning a much easier process.
- It also makes it inclusive and fun!
There are endless reasons why audiobooks are an essential part of learning – time to get the kids listening anywhere and everywhere!