Present: Sheril Gelmon (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon and Wendy Sinclair (Co Secretaries), Lara Spence (Communications/Social Media), Sheri Wiwchar (Co-Fundraising Coordinator), Suzanne Smythe (DPAC Rep), Brent Schieman (Principal), Nancy Palejko (Psychology and Spanish teacher; Teacher Liaison), and 15 parents.
Regrets: Michelle Koski (Treasurer)
The meeting began at 7:00 pm with approval of minutes from November 20 meeting by Ramandeep Kaurminhas and seconded by Dianne Wiedemann. Introductions were done by all present.
Principal’s Introduction – Brent Schieman
– new Principal to JO (replacing Damian Wilmann) – was a Principal at Templeton for the past 2.5 years
– has been involved with teaching and working in schools for many years
– will be utilizing the JO website for updates and information
Teacher Liaison – Nancy Palejko
Update to public education
– teachers are still bargaining with NDP government for a new 3-year contract (expired June 2019)
– Arbitrator Jackson ruling in January has restored funding to 2001 levels, along with rolling back designations and support for special needs students to 2001 levels
– parents are encouraged to contact their MLAs to petition them to:
(a) fund BC Public Education to the level of the rest of Canada ($1,800/student less than other areas in Canada)
(b) make class sizes smaller to help teachers properly meet the needs of all the students
(c) use current DSM5 to determine what the designations should be (Psychological Diagnostic and Statistical Manual)
– visit bctf.ca to find out more about Education in BC (click “For the Parents” tab)
– visit leg.bc.ca and enter postal code to find your MLA contact
Grad Committee – 4 Grad 12 students – Anne Alvares, S Birkenhead (sponsor teachers)
– Wed March 11 – Dry Grad (2:00 – 8:30 pm)
– 2:00 – 4:00 pm Scavenger Hunt/Amazing Race – need parents to volunteer in the creation and to be at different locations along the hunt – see Volunteer Request Poster
– Mr. Lee is good at planning them
– 4:00 – 5:30 pm Dinner in Cafeteria – parent to help with purchasing food from Costco – staff in Cafeteria will prepare
– 5:30 – 8:30 pm Casino/Fun Event in Gym – bouncy castles, play money, etc.
– supervision by teachers and parents (preferably not Gr. 12 parents but younger grades)
– suggested cost for Dry Grad $10/student
– Grad Ceremony (Chan Centre – 5:00 pm)
– Friday June 19 – Prom (Coast Coal Harbour Vancouver Hotel – 6:00 pm – midnight)
– $120/student if more than half the grads attend – cost will increase if numbers of grads are lower
DPAC – Suzanne Smythe
– Thurs Jan 23 – general meeting – how education is fitting into City Plan will be discussed
– Thurs Feb 6 – PAC Summit – city-wide meeting
– Tues Jan 28 – SACY Workshop on Vaping
– Thurs Jan 30 – Workshop on Parenting in a Digital World
– re-instating Anti-Racism initiative
Family Fun Bingo – 8th Annual
- Friday Feb. 21 from 6:45 – 9:00 pm in the Cafeteria
- Cost is $10 per person; invite all family and neighbours
- PAC and Mini share the funds
- looking for donations of teen and adult suitable prizes and gift cards – contact Lara Spence (email@example.com) or Sheril Gelmon (sherilgelmon@gmail..com) if you can help, or have ideas – there’s a list going – and a letter you may need
- appreciate donations on the night of shareable baking or appetizers – please bring own cup and plate
- volunteers needed for helping organize the food at the back food table (Cindy volunteered at end of meeting), get more prizes (Linh volunteered at end of meeting) and the prizes into categories, and for bingo calling, and for clean-up (will get students and whoever is around).
- Lara will get posters made as she has source files from last year. Lara will post about event on FB, Tw and arrange to get posted on School Calendar + website.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm. Next PAC meeting will be held Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 7pm in the Library.
If you have meeting feedback, ideas or need to contact Sheril Gelmon please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay in Touch/Learn about JO
To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
- Visit John Oliver website: http://johnoliver.vsb.bc.ca – look at the Calendar & School News (set a reminder to do this every few weeks) – the WAAG may be discontinued
- Get your child to pay attention during announcements!
- Visit the PAC site: http://blogs.vsb.bc.ca/jo-pac/
- Sign up for PAC Email: https://mailchi.mp/84a856a6e2d1/jopac
You may be interested:
JO Athletics: www.instagram.com/jokersathletics/
JO Student Council: www.instagram.com/jo.stuco/
JO Finders Keepers (upcycling store for vulnerable youth) https://www.instagram.com/finderskeepersjo/
Want to help raise funds for JO PAC? http://blogs.vsb.bc.ca/jo-pac/fundraising – tax receipts available.