Address: 1001 Cotton Drive
Opened 24 August, 1908 in the Seymour Elementary building as a part of Vancouver High School. It became a separate entity in 1909 and moved to a new structure in January 1910. Also known as East End High and Seymour High. Expanded to a secondary school in 1955.
The story of Britannia High School dates from Monday, August 24, 1908. On that day, sixty-nine high school students, many of them formerly enrolled at Vancouver High School, began work in the Seymour Elementary School building. In January, 1910, the high school classes were transferred to the north wing of the present structure, the first to be finished. In this year, the name “East” High School gave place to the name “Britannia High School”.
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives. Date: 1920.
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives. Date: 1940
School Portrait (1930). Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives.
Girls Basketball Team (1918).
School portrait of staff and students (1920). Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives.
School Auditorium – View 1.
School Auditorium – View 2.
High School Cadet Band (1924). Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives.
Grade 12 Homeroom Class (1940).
Junior Boys Basketball Team – Lou Rosse, back row, at left (1947).
High School: Cast of Operetta, “The Buccaneers” (1947).
Musical – “Tulip Time”. Cast members Lou Rosse and Eleanor Mackenzie, kissing (1949).
Grade 12 Homeroom Class (1949).
Drama Group posing on the front steps of the school (1950).
Two students using electric typewriters (1956).
Science classroom: Mr Len Chapman, science teacher, poses with two students (1956).
50th School Anniversary Celebration – Class of 1930 (1959).
50th School Anniversary Celebration (1959).
50th School Anniversary Celebration – Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bonner and Miss McNiven (1959).
Publicity Photo – Theatre Production (1960).
Opening of the New Wing (1967).
Opening of the New Wing – Mr. J. R. Swanson, Principal, presents athletic trophy (with Joe Ferrera, Student Council President.) (1967)
Filmstrip Projector in night school classroom (1969).
Opening of the Britannia Community Services Centre (1976).
Opening of the Britannia Community Services Centre – Norval Brown, Principal (1976).
Opening of the Britannia Community Services Centre – man in white shorts is Bill Vance, PE teacher (1976).
Al Coulson, VSB official, presents a Continuing Education certificate to Helen Oui (1980).
Date: 1949 BRITANNIA BOYS at the Clinton Hall dance. Photo donated by the Graduating Class of 1950.
Date: 1950 Britannia Pep Club and Cheerleaders. Photo donated by the Graduating Class of 1950.