Address: Pender and Cambie Street (1890-1904); Oak Street and West 12th Avenue (1905-1909).
The first class (1 instructor and 31 students) was held on January 05, 1890 in a classroom at Central School, an elementary school. In August 1890, the high school moved next door to a 3-room wooden building. Then, in June 1893, it moved to a permanent building less than a block away. In 1899, it became the Vancouver High School and College.
As the City grew, so did the requirement to expand the high school facilities to accommodate the rapidly increasing student population. Thus, a new Vancouver High School was constructed at Oak Street and West 12th Avenue. (Later, the old building at Pender and Cambie was occupied by the Vancouver School of Art.) In August 1909, Vancouver High School and College was renamed King Edward High School in honour of the late King Edward VII.
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives.
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives. Date: 1892. Senior Class portrait.
Photo credit: City of Vancouver Archives. Date: 1903. Girls grass hockey team.
Copyright © 2017 | MH Magazine WordPress Theme by MH Themes