King George V (South Vancouver)

Address: 1975 West 49th Avenue


The story of this school begins in 1912, in the Municipality of South Vancouver, with the opening of Eburne Superior School. Eights students there formed a First -Year High School Group. In 1914, a high school opened at 1975 West 49th Avenue –  first called Point Grey High, and then King George V. Students used the nickname ‘Magee’ to avoid confusion with Vancouver’s King George High School. The school was used as a temporary hospital during the world-wide flu epidemic beginning in 1918. The school was officially renamed in 1926.




Photo credit – City of Vancouver Archives.



Photo credit – City of Vancouver Archives.